Fall All Girls Math Online Tournament
Article Written by: Lauren Chong
The All Girls Math Tournament successfully held its second All Girls Math Online Tournament. With the goal of inspiring females students from third to eighth grade, the All Girls Math Online Tournament successfully attracted 210 girls from over 15 states and 3 countries. The All Girls Math Online Tournament is very similar to the MATHCOUNTS competition for middle schoolers. Participants compete individually in three different rounds consisting of two parts: a sprint section and a target section. Following each round, participants will be selected to move onto the next one.
Because of its online platform, it was easier for students all over the world to participate. Participants were not allowed to consult online material or communicate with anyone. Students are permitted to start anytime during the testing window period.
The first round took place from Oct. 6 to Oct. 12 and consisted of a sprint section with 40 minutes to solve 30 questions, and a target section with 8 questions to be solved in 24 minutes. 50 percent of the participants were chosen to move onto the next round. The second round took place from Oct. 13 to Oct. 19 and students were given 30 minutes to solve 20 questions and 20 minutes to solve 6 questions, which were a little tougher than the round before it. Once again, 50 percent of the top participants were chosen to move onto the third and last round, which took place from Oct 20 to Oct. 26. The third round was 30 minutes for 10 questions and 12 minutes for 4 questions.
The final score was tallied at the end of the three rounds. Each round had different weights for the final score. The first round weighed 20 percent of the overall score, the second 30 percent and the last round 50 percent. The top 10 scorers were given prizes and the top 50 percent were given recognition on the website.
The All Girls Math Tournament aims to continue its mission of inspiring girls to pursue math. Sign up next year!